Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An "interesting" creation

At the moment my life seems to be firing on all cylinders. I am juggling so many balls, I can hardly believe it.

My new job, with its associated training, has begun -- albeit on a part-time basis at this point. I am finding that exciting but, as I stated before, I am going to wait a while before I share much about that.

My involvement in my cohousing community is deeply meaningful to me, but it does require a time commitment. In addition to my more routine tasks, I'm going to be visiting Roberts Creek Cohousing tomorrow (Thursday) for a consensus decision making workshop that will last through the weekend.

I am continuing to reap benefits from my collaboration with Dr. Norm at The Lifehouse Chiropractic Studio. Yes, the "light touch" method that Norm uses is a Phase 1 creation and, yes, I like it.

On the dating front, I had an interesting experience last weekend. From Friday afternoon through Sunday evening, I went to Vancouver to visit with a man whom I had "met" on a match making website.

That involved a one-and-a-half hour ferry ride across the Georgia Strait in each direction. This man and I had gotten on like a house on fire via emails and phone calls. For a variety of reasons it wasn't convenient for him to visit Nanaimo until December, so I agreed to travel to Vancouver instead. The voyage on the ferry is beautiful, so I was more than happy to do it.

In many ways my date was a super person, just as he had seemed to be during long distance communications. He was a talented musician and artist as well as a serious student of yoga in all its dimensions (physical, spiritual, etc.). We had heaps of interests and values in common. He also was respectful, considerate and hospitable towards me.

There was, however, one anomaly. When I met him, he looked older than I had been anticipating. At first it didn't bother me. I didn't want to focus only on physical appearance, as it felt less important to me than other factors.

Several hours into our weekend date, however, he said something that raised a red flag for me. If I remember correctly, he referred to an event that I felt he should have been too young to have witnessed. I came right out and asked him how old he was. He admitted that he was ten years older than the age he had provided on the match making website.

For me that was a trust breaker. What I mean by that is a breach of trust that is significant enough to supersede other considerations. Yes, I found many things about him engaging and fascinating. But they were as nothing compared with the fact that he had lied to me.

But I remained calm. It did occur to me, momentarily, to climb on the next ferry back to Nanaimo. But then I thought, "What the heck? I've invested the time in getting to Vancouver. Why don't I just stay here and make the most of this trip?"

It was a beautiful, sunny weekend. My date lives in Kitsilano, which is a delightful neighbourhood of character homes not far from downtown Vancouver. The streets are lined with trees that were sporting autumn colours. We walked to the beach. Then we walked down Broadway, which is a street lined with cute stores, coffee shops, and the like. We browsed through charming Banyen Books. On Saturday night, we had a delicious meal at East is East.

All in all, it was a pleasant getaway. On my return ferry, I did reflect though that two men with whom I had engaged on match making websites had not played with what I would call a full deck of cards. I merely noticed it. As far as I am concerned, there really is nothing to be done about it. Because I am informed by the Busting Loose model, I believe that my Expanded Self created these behaviours, as it creates everything that I experience in my hologram.

To me this past weekend just felt like a new ride in the Earth Amusement Park. I wonder what's around the next corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment